Saturday, February 15, 2014

Prison Art: Helping Many Inmates Better Themselves

This is exactly what we've been saying!  As a community we should all want men and women to "come out better people".  Art plays a massive role in how J.J. does his time in a positive and productive way.   

The other day J.J. received a letter from his good friend Norm.  (You have heard of Norm before!)  Norm always arrives with positive and encouraging words along with stories of great things happening on this side of the fence.  This letter was no exception.  Norm shared a story from the  Ionia Sentinel-Standard: "PRISON ART: We want them to come out better people."

Here at the Judicious Jailbird, we believe in just that.  Encouraging inmates to stay connected to family and friends, the power of art and sharing stories......all to help men and women to come out better people.

Here is the latest piece of prison art from J.J.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome piece! This is Bruce, if you remember me. I use to come buy jolly pops from you all the time lol! I just wanted to say hi!. i Talked to burfiend(not sure if you rember him) about 3 weeks ago. He is in bridges of orlando now.

kimzilla said...

Not sure where to put this...so why not here. I was directed to J.J. originally to find a message from my man for Christmas. I was overwhelmed with emotion reading it. I subscribed and now am a daily reader...I am over half way thru reading ALL of the posts. I just want to say how it has touched me...I spent only 4 months in County and it was horrible. Being a former addict...nearly the same addictions. Staying clean and trying to get my life back together is a challenge. These posts give me knowledge of what my honey does all day...lol...probably a goof too! How it really is in there....I know it's not easy. And maybe J.J Even Has convos With him. Anyways I thank you for the time and effort put into this, being on the outside while they are in...well it sucks. I stalk my mailman daily! I look forward to more messages shout outs, crazy stories, artwork and all J.J. cares to share. I find it all very interesting. And a good read!
Thanks....
Kim =]

J.J. said...

Hell yeah, I remember you Bruce!! You left up out of here from F dorm. I will tell Chris you say "What's up?". Enjoy life, my friend! And continue to follow mine on this blog.

J.J. said...

Kim, I loved your message. It's wonderful to hear from family members and the men who have left and made their way home. It's people like you that keep us grounded back here. God Bless!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday little brother ur mail is on it's way love your sister tara

Ester Jean said...

This piece is pretty badass. DId mom tell you all about taking Bubba to the zoo? "OPEN IT!" he hollered at every enclosure... I don't know where you found an elephant to work off of, but it's really badass. The ground underneath is wicked too. Nice perspective! Might be Clayton's future tattoo :) haha